Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We saw the second opinion endocrinologist today

So today was our appointment with Dr. L., another endocrinologist. I felt a lot better coming out of his office then I ever did with Dr. G. We spent 3 hours there, they made copies of the reports that I had, read things over, talked about things, checked her out, and gave us a ton of follow-up things.

First and foremost is the watching what she eats and getting her more exercise. That's the no-brainer in my opinion. But I always want her to hear it again and again, especially from the doctors. The dr. gave her a new bucket of sidewalk chalk too, telling her he wants her to play hopscotch. And to follow-up on all of this, he wants us to see a nutritionist again, have them do a calorie count and go over portion control/sizes again.

Then he wants us to get her a bone age x-ray done. I guess they can see your growth by x-raying the hand/wrist area. Since they measured her weight and height today, they commented that she appeared to have a short stature. She measured low for height now. That was something that nobody else really said before. She was always near the lower end, but as I pointed out to Dr. L., she doesn't come from tall stock!

Finally, he wants a ton of lab work done. He said they're all tests that previous doctors never did or that they're out of date already. Plus, he would really want them to send the lab work to a lab in California that specializes in pediatric testing, then the results would give him a lot more answers. The tests they want us to do include: Karyotype (chromosomes), a.m. Cortisol, ACTH, fasting lipid panel, chem-21, CBC, leptin, Free T4, Total T3, TSH, IGF-1, IGA, IGF BP3, anti-transglutaminose, hydroxy vitamin D, CRP (creatine protein). Now, most of these things don't mean anything to me. Soo... tomorrow morning I need to talk to Ms. S., who handles all her referrals. I don't know how this all works, getting referrals for this work, when it's from a doctor that's not at her normal medical site. That whole HMO thing.

Anyway, she did really well, it was such a huge help that my parents came with. Then grandma could stay in the lobby with Nutty Buddy. He wouldn't have sat in that small room for the 2+ hours we were in there. As I said too, I felt a lot better coming out of there. Granted, it may still come down to her eating and that's it, but I just felt a little bit less "the bad person" when I left. I felt that Dr. L. spent way more time with Peanut than Dr. G. ever has. Oh, and his P.A., Dr. O. was really nice. We spent most of our time with her anyway, she was great, so thorough!

I'll update some more when we get a plan of action for all the testing to be done. And I'll just keep hoping that they find something!

No comments:

Post a Comment